Stress is closely linked to hair loss due to multiple external (environment) and internal factors (genetics). Anxiety and stress are some of the common external factors responsible for hair loss.
Hair loss due to stress is not irreversible. However, managing anxiety can improve hair loss.
The association of hair loss and strain can be categorized at different severity levels. The three types of hair loss due to stress are as follows:
It is a temporary hair loss due to excessive shedding and turning off the active follicles into a resting phase due to sudden shock. In an average human, nearly 85% of the hair follicles are inactive mode while the rest of the 15% is in the resting phase. In the case of telogen effluvium, 70% of the follicles turn into the resting mode. Hair falls rapidly within few months due to dead follicles even by simply combing or washing your hair.
The only viable treatment for telogen effluvium is a surgical hair transplant. The trauma of the hair follicle can be reversed somehow by surgery. One can simply enhance hair growth with the consumption of proteins and vitamins.
Trichotillomania, also known as a hair-pulling disorder, is a psychological disorder that includes a recurrent, irresistible desire to pull hair from the body areas and scalp. It is a coping mechanism to deal with frustration, anxiety, loneliness, or stress.
It is the most common example of hair loss and stress that diminishes by reducing any physical and mental health issues associated with hair loss. The only hair loss treatment for this is Behavior Therapy.
It is an auto-immune disorder where the body’s immune system damages the hair follicles, causing hair loss. Several reasons may cause it, and stress is one of them.
Surgical hair transplant are not suitable for patients with alopecia areata, but various steroid injections are available to cover the bald spots on the head.
The close association of hair loss and stress is quite manageable by overcoming stress and anxiety, the hair follicles would strengthen, and the shedding stops to some extent. Active follicles regrow hair; the recovery process is slow. It may take from months to years after the stress relief.